BSH's goals include helping survivors:
• Gain control of their lives; to once again feel a sense of empowerment.
• Learn how to integrate the murder into one's mental framework.
• Supply support in an environment where the survivor is free to express any and all feelings -- to talk, cry, scream, to feel rage, guilt or to just feel.
• Work through the grief process and achieve reconstruction of their lives.
• To understand the design and purpose of associated systems (law enforcement, criminal justice, etc.) and learn how to work with them.